Skip to main content

LETTER TO MY UNBORN CHILD continues. Read on...

 The story continues...

In life we seek to hear from God, a sign as the Jews sought for in the days of the prophets, yet when we are presented by these signs we are too blinded by our own fears and doubts that we fail to see the handwriting on the wall. Such a beauty it was to have seen God touch down on earth to complicate our lives by giving us blessings disguised in the form of crosses that we can bear. Such a jolly it would have been to face the world  bearing each others crosses and atoning for our sins as well as the sins of many by diligently going through life with the burden of an "unexpected" pregnancy. Yes "unexpected" is the word and not unwanted because I know how much I wanted you. I know how much I always wondered if I would ever have you. I know how many dreams I had hoped would come true when you came and I would have lived up to expectations as a father and husband. I prayed for a day you would come but I never expected you to come so soon.
 Your arrival, a blessing, our perception of it, a nightmare. I would never forget how dumbstruck I was when she sent message to my facebook inbox  "...I'm pregnant". You see I am a very knowledgeable Catholic and I knew the meaning of your arrival in our lives. There was a fleeting  feeling of excitement and joy about having a child, which at the moment of impact was repressed by anxiety and apathy. I was bewildered at the thought of how heavy this special cross would come to become. The prospects I had planned for life dawning into a harsh and difficult reality. My soul was in an uproar, my body was distorted, my spirit was broken yet my will was the only thing that remained intact, but only for a while. As all evil thoughts would sip their way into the heart of man, I was forced to look away from the reality of bearing a cross as Christ urges us to and I started to see what the world would see. You see our love for you was immediately jeopardised by our fear for the world. 'How would we cope? Can I even feed myself talk less of her and a baby? How do we tell it to her mum and my parents that she's pregnant? How do we face the shame of being young adults, unmarried and having a baby? What would people think of me? How much of me would they ridicule and call stupid? How would she bear the stigma of being in school, single and pregnant? How would she cope with studies and go for antenatal? Where would she stay during the duration of her pregnancy?' Then more depressing thoughts continued to flood my mind. 'Why me? How can so much be expected of me and then I would be so callous and get a girl pregnant? Am I so blind that I haven't learnt anything from the mistakes of others? Would her mother not kill her if she found out she was pregnant? She's the first daughter of her family. What kind of example would she be to the others? Is this a reality or could I not but make of this to be a living hell?' I spent days waking up to hope it was all a dream and the nightmare would go away but every time I open my eyes I find your presence as real as mine to me.
 In all these questions that continued to surge through my brain, my fears had succeeded in making me lose sight of the new member of this relationship, you my dear son. I never asked how you would feel to be a part of my world. I never wondered what your role in this relationship was to become. I never saw the possibilities of you bringing I and your mum closer to each other. I never looked at how having you would have been an opportunity to depend more on God. I had forgotten all these and sought the alternative route to my cross. I had already made possible arrangements to hide my perceived "sins" rather than live with the consequences of it. I sought a means around it rather than face it as I would a bull by its horns.
 You see your arrival into my life challenged all I ever believed in as a Catholic. I knew for certain that D&C was not an option and was never the solution for my problems. I had almost totally closed my heart to your dignity as a human until she came back with the scan results. I would never forget the doctor's report: 'foetus with cardiomuscular activity' nor would I forget the due date I was supposed to expect your nativity on this earth. 'My baby already had a heart and blood vessels, it's alive'. For a split second I thought of a very clear and sunny morning of October. The cool afternoon breeze hitting the top of my head as I peer down at my wrist watch to see the time read 1200hrs GMT, while I wait for the doctor to come out and confirm the birth of my child. It would have been a beautiful 28th day of the month to never forget. But then I brushed off the thought and focused on getting the entire procedure done. There were many other instances where I could have harkened to the voice of God in my friends yet I chose to look at the perceived big picture of getting back to a normal life rather than having shared one with you in it. April 11, 2013, it was a Thursday and your mother had come back from the scan. You were twelve weeks and five days. We had made you without knowing and you were conceived on that wonderful Saturday of January 12, 2013. We were basking in love that day, having recovered from our relationship issues without holding back one bit of romance as we made up. I remember the smile on or mum's face when I watched her eat up her bowl of catfish pepper soup. We had a normal life. Friday, April 12, 2013, you were only twelve weeks and six days and we had condemned you to death with our own hands. You, the first soul we had ever owned, yet the first soul whose life we would take with our own hands in full consent. Had we not become what I had feared the most? Isn't it for certain that we had become murderers and we would live with it forever?


To be continued... 
The letter concludes in the next post. I hope you all can reflect on the Love between the father and his unborn child. Its quintessential to understanding the story behind the letter. 
Thank you as u read. Bless yo

Comments

  1. Its easy. Write your comment then select profile and choose 'name/URL'. Write your name and click on 'publish'. Fill in the code and its settled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww.....dis is so touchin,doing the 'abnormal' to go bak to 'normalcy'. Cnt wait for d rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bose! I assure you I would conclude the story in the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed, i like those little details 'catfish peppersoup' medical term used to describe the foetus, dates...feels real! hope we will get to see things from the mother's side after part 3 though even if its not a letter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugo I read your post and was overwhelmed; don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. I believe life is an experiment. Mistakes are painful when they happen, but years later, a collection of mistakes is what is called experience. Death is more universal than life, everyone dies but not everyone lives even if some don't even have the choice or opportunity nd life is tken wy from them before they can perceive. Remember, your past mistakes just long enough to profit by them. The man who makes no mistakes, does not usually make anything. The bravest thing you can do when you are not brave, is to profess courage and act accordingly. I hope to Read more motivational post from you.. Stay blessed!
    Signed Osima Orugba
    C.E.O brave-leo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Braveleo I see you're touched man. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice1but those dates scare me making it look like it was a personal experience but in all its rly touching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deep. CraY. Real
    The worst thing you can do is to not learn from this experience. Well..what can I say, you'd have to make it up to the child that your future wife bears, its a debt. #swirV!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brotherly if u done gv ur babe belle reason gimme

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pearce H. IbilolaJuly 07, 2013 8:52 pm

    Dese are occasions a good learner would nt miss.
    Every failure brings with it d seed of an equivalent success.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugo,shey you don give am belle ni,make I knw naw, make I dey find money for naming ceremony o, on a serious note,your impressing me with your skills in writing,but I expect more,you can do better. Go deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a serious matter..don't tell me there's gon b an abortion o!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugo l was in deed overwhelmed after going tru ur write up, wel to err they say is human & to 4give is divine;but dis is a call 4 sober reflectn cos man proposes but God disposes. More greaze 2 ur elbow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never knew Nigeria got great writing skills. Dont see such talentz in Kesh. Wish you all the best.

    Joanna Katricia

    on behalf of Keshmoney group

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job man keep the spirit going bro...one love...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice job man keep the spirit going bro...one love...Sodje Gilbert

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, very interesting piece,also full of suspense, I also like the attention paid to little details like date and all. Keep it up , Ugo. Waiting patiently for the next part.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Am feeling ur story UG, can't wait for the last part of the story.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful write up...I can't wait to read the next one..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Guy it is hard to bliv u wrote dis, dias a word dat says man propose n God dispose, dat is to say God has more plans 4 u in his house 4 u bin too sincere with what had gone wrong b4 and ask 4 his and ur unborn child to 4giv u. D lord is ur strenght and thanks 4 making pple lik me to reflect on ours n ask 4 his infinate mercy on us. waiting 4 d ending part.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LETTER TO MY UNBORN CHILD. I hope you like my post. Its inspired by true events around me. Please comment and share. Thank You

July 4, 2013 Dear Junior,     You might never know it my dear son but I've never been more proud of anything I've ever owned in my life than I was at the thought of having you. I had dreams for many years past for a day that would come when I would have to look into those little eyes, the very replica of mine, and your lips, cuddling you so tight as though if I were to leave you for a split second my life would suddenly have less meaning than it did before finding you. I guess its the dream all great father's have: to see their first born son come into life.   I want to write this letter to you to make you understand how much we, I and your mother, know you. We love you very much and we have felt your existence in our lives more than anything we have come to appreciate today. You have been a big part of our life and your coming has opened our world to new horizons. I bet you wonder why its Junior I call you my dear and I would tell you it is your name. I ha

MY PAIN! MY HAPPINESS!

 To one fool of a dreamer, reality truly doesn't give a damn about your feelings and that's deep. The cruel reality of knowing so much of your life had been wasted on sincerely loving someone. I'm sitting on my bed with my back against the wall. My pillow wedging my lower back to avert the pain from sitting with a bad posture. I look up at the ceiling to see if I could set my eyes away from the obvious, as though staring at the ceiling would stop me from seeing into my heart. Its some minutes past 11pm and I can't seem to find the grace to sleep or the strength to read my soft copy of "A Game of Thrones" on my tab. I find my hands clutching my chest to see if in doing so I can find a way to ease the pain I feel there. The heart is definitely located in the left thoracic region but how can it be that something so intangible can exert so much pain on the physiology of this organ. I take deep breaths to see if I can ease the stress my feelings impound on my l