Skip to main content

The Easter Family - a meditation on the Family Bond


I sat calmly at the dining table, picking my teeth clean and reminiscing on the awesome meal of ugha & okazi soup I had just eaten, putting behind me the battle of driving 130km from Uyo against a heavy storm and waterlogged roads in Abia state, when I watched daddy make a request to mummy and he had this boyish look on his face as if he was having “long-throat”. Lol! Mummy’s response played out as words of a loving mother, scolding her child for being excessive, yet with acts of a pleasing wife, in obeisance to his needs and presenting a small portion of the same awesome meal to quench that appetite. As he dipped his hurriedly washed hands into the plate, he started to make funny jokes about not sharing his food with her in what sounded Yoruba-ish to which she responded to the joke in a flawless Yoruba tongue. Mummy speaks the 3 main Nigerian languages awesomely if I may add. It felt like what I had just seen was cute so I decided to share my little meditation on Love & Family to you all.

My dear friends, I do not know all there is to human love. The truth is I’ve given up on trying to know. But I can’t stop knowing what Divine Love is and I know the first reproduction of Divine Love in creation is in the family of Eden according to the book of the beginnings (Genesis). Our Christian Faith teaches us the mystery of the Godhead is a Family: The Father, the Son and the bond between both which is so real it exists in their very nature as the Spirit. One uniqueness of the Godhead Family is Loyalty and this is the same virtue the Son and Spirit went out to teach the bride to be in this Holy Family. We see it in their darkest hours, how the Father never abandoned the Son nor did the Son abandon the vision and mission they shared for reconciling Humanity, the bride, to the perfect communion of the Family at Creation. This uniqueness of Love is loyalty, long-suffering and Hope in the coming of the Glory of perfection and it is the seeds of this bond that brings humanity together for all ages into the one Faith and one Body. These are the seeds that were first planted over 4,000 years ago in the heart of a man called Abram. This is why the Patriachs of old were obsessed with family names & genealogies that they would teach their generations to be loyal to their family name and to the name of the LORD (YHWH). I’m trying so hard to be as brief as possible. I wish I could open the layers of scripture to teach this mystery.

Love was never mainly about feelings/emotions. Both of these are necessary but making them crucial veils the true glory of love. Our generation has lost this meaning and now more than ever they have reduced love to trust in feelings rather than trust in the fact that God alone can make ANY family perfect regardless of the difficulties they face in making their dreams and vision a reality. The source of ensuring this Loyalty in the family is the Family of God and just as it started from the Father and Son and was poured out as the Holy Spirit, so also it must begin with a man and a woman and be poured out into their children. I wish I could say my parents are a power couple but they’ve been far from perfect. They have many levels of disputes, I mean a whole lot, and yet they have endured together for about 30 years. Their loyalty to achieving their dreams of raising successful children has kept them together and that loyalty creates beautiful moments of emotions that make you realise love is not only made of roses that bloom and blossom but also thorns that prick and hurt so bad. I know there are families who have had awesome weddings or anniversaries and yet they can’t seem to keep themselves together. Understanding this taught me that true happiness is not having neither squabbles nor quarrels but rather making sure we depend on God to keep those things as far as possible from our happiness while we struggle to live out our hope, daily as a family.

In my moments of contemplation, it finally dawned on me exactly what love means between a man and a woman. In plain words, it is agreements of value (codes of conduct, sharing a mantle). It is making a name. If you don’t understand this value at your core it will be impossible for you to keep your family together. When you understand Love you finally realise it is not a word or an emotion you turn on and off. It is a bond you can’t mess with because it is living and made up of people worth sacrificing so much for. On this beautiful eve of the resurrection, I pray that every family would realise that the promises of the risen Lord is not only freedom and prosperity, but hope and trust. May they realise that in sticking together during difficult times, all of God’s goodness and mercies shall unfold to them. What you hope for shapes what you live for. There would be times we would have less faith in what God has given to us, but in those times we must never lose hope because God is always there for us. Happy Easter!


If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He [God] cannot deny Himself [2 Timothy II:13]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LETTER TO MY UNBORN CHILD continues. Read on...

  The story continues... In life we seek to hear from God, a sign as the Jews sought for in the days of the prophets, yet when we are presented by these signs we are too blinded by our own fears and doubts that we fail to see the handwriting on the wall. Such a beauty it was to have seen God touch down on earth to complicate our lives by giving us blessings disguised in the form of crosses that we can bear. Such a jolly it would have been to face the world   bearing each others crosses and atoning for our sins as well as the sins of many by diligently going through life with the burden of an "unexpected" pregnancy. Yes "unexpected" is the word and not unwanted because I know how much I wanted you. I know how much I always wondered if I would ever have you. I know how many dreams I had hoped would come true when you came and I would have lived up to expectations as a father and husband. I prayed for a day you would come but I never expected you to come so so

LETTER TO MY UNBORN CHILD. I hope you like my post. Its inspired by true events around me. Please comment and share. Thank You

July 4, 2013 Dear Junior,     You might never know it my dear son but I've never been more proud of anything I've ever owned in my life than I was at the thought of having you. I had dreams for many years past for a day that would come when I would have to look into those little eyes, the very replica of mine, and your lips, cuddling you so tight as though if I were to leave you for a split second my life would suddenly have less meaning than it did before finding you. I guess its the dream all great father's have: to see their first born son come into life.   I want to write this letter to you to make you understand how much we, I and your mother, know you. We love you very much and we have felt your existence in our lives more than anything we have come to appreciate today. You have been a big part of our life and your coming has opened our world to new horizons. I bet you wonder why its Junior I call you my dear and I would tell you it is your name. I ha

The Seven Deadly Sins (The Fox's Sin of Greed)

Ban was the man. Undead Ban, as he was popularly called in Nanatsu no Taizai, was a bandit who stole water from the fountain of life. This guy's greed made him covet a drink that would curse him with immortality, the inability to die despite being killed. This left an endless void in his soul because he could never die to be with his beloved Elaine on the other side. Damn I love cartoons fantasies so much!!! Moving forward, this evening's healing process is to pick on my Sin of Greed. "I want the money, cars and the clothes, the h**s, I suppose... I just wanna be successful". I wish he got that right about success. That song just fueled the desire to want more of the very things I had enough of. You see God is sufficient for each and every one of our souls. If he can provide for the birds that do not reap or sow, are we not much more valuable than these birds? (cf. Matt VI:26). I remember how often I kept hearing God speak in a soft strong tone through his child